We use cookies to make sure our website better meets your expectations.
You can adjust your web browser's settings to stop accepting cookies. For further information, read our cookie policy.
SEARCH
IN Warsaw
Exchange Rates
Warsaw Stock Exchange - Indices
The Warsaw Voice » Real Estate » January 16, 2008
The Real Estate Voice
You have to be logged in to use the ReadSpeaker utility and listen to a text. It's free-of-charge. Just log in to the site or register if you are not registered user yet.
Wilanów Town
January 16, 2008   
Article's tools:
Print

The Warsaw Wilanów district's new giant residential project known as Miasteczko Wilanów (Wilanów Town) is one of the biggest housing developments in Poland. The project's investor is Wilanów Investments, a company 51 percent owned by PKO Inwestycje, the investment arm of PKO Bank Polski. The remaining 49 percent belongs to Prokom Investments. Over 2,000 apartments will be built on the 169-hectare site. The estimated cost of the project is $1 billion.

Miasteczko Wilanów's 169 hectares are located in the center of a 480-hectare area known as Western Wilanów. The project involves the building of not only apartments but also local stores and services, schools, office buildings, and the entire infrastructure required for a residential district. The project's architects based their designs not only on current trends in global architecture but also on Warsaw's specific building styles as evidenced in the Old Mokotów and Żoliborz districts, in southern and northern Warsaw respectively. Miasteczko Wilanów's buildings will be low rise and designed to blend with their surroundings and reflect the original character of the area.

The tallest, five-floor, buildings will be in the center of the development. They will be up to 20 meters high, while the two-floor buildings will be 9 m high. Some 45 percent of the land within the development will be planted, affording residents plenty of greenery.

The project's architectural supervisor and coordinator is Guy Castelain Perry. Earlier in his career, Perry worked with Ricardo Bofill and with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, among other firms. He worked on buildings for the Olympics in Barcelona and the 75,000-square-meter Business Park in Osaka, Japan. He was also involved in the town planning of Var in France and designed stores for giant food retailer Auchan.

More than 20 Polish architectural firms are working on the Miasteczko Wilanów project. Ten to 15 years are required for the completion of the whole project. The development's construction is divided into several stages. The completion of each stage brings into being a functioning entity that will eventually be amalgamated into the whole to create an independent "mini-city." Currently five residential projects are under construction. Robyg Development, Wilanów Investments, Fadesa Prokom, Skarbiec 3, and MILL-Yon are building the New Residence of Queen Marysieńka, New Wilanów, Ostoja Wilanów, Wilanów-Królewskie Przedmieście and Aura Park respectively. An international school and a preschool will be built directly next to the Shrine of Divine Providence, a monumental church currently under construction in the Wilanów district. Construction firm Skanska will build an office-and-conference complex and a hotel in the center of Miasteczko Wilanów. The center of this "mini-city" will cover an area of 14.8 hectares, a third of which will be taken by three squares. Królewski Square will lie on Przyczółkowa Street between the hotel, offices and conference center and the shopping, cultural and entertainment center. The Water Square will be located in the eastern part of the complex and will have a fountain, which in winter will transform into an ice rink. People will be able to buy fruit and vegetables in the Market Square adjacent to the center. From this square, a shopping street, dubbed Nowy Świat Bis after the exclusive street in central Warsaw of the same name, will lead into the shopping center that itself will have 250 stores. There will also be restaurants, coffee shops and multifunctional theater and film halls as well as underground parking below the shopping center.

The United Nations has recognized Miasteczko Wilanów as an example of a well-balanced sustainable development. It was presented as such during a UN conference in New York in 2001 and again in Geneva, Switzerland, in 2002.
© The Warsaw Voice 2010-2018
E-mail Marketing Powered by SARE