PGE to go ahead with Opole project
October 3, 2012
PGE power group will go ahead with the realization of the Opole project commissioned to a consortium of listed builders Polimex-Mostostal, Rafako & Mostostal Warszawa, the firm said in a press statement, commenting on an earlier court ruling.
"The ruling passed today by the Supreme Administrative Court (NSA) means that the environmental decision is subject to execution," PGE said in the statement. "Thanks to that, PGE GiEK, holding final permits for the construction, is continuing the investment process at Elektrownia Opole power station."
Earlier on Tuesday the Supreme Administrative Court reversed an unfavorable ruling on the environmental permit for the Opole project and returned the case to the lower court.
PGE plans to build two 900 MW power blocks in its Opole power station for PLN 11.56 billion. The new blocks at Opole will conform to environmental norms, PGE says.
Also Poland's Treasury Ministry welcomes the ruling, according to a press statement.
At the same time, ClientEarth, the organization which had appealed against the environmental permit for PGE's Opole power blocks, will continue to torpedo the project until the planned blocks meet all environmental standards, the foundation's lawyer Marcin Stoczkiewicz wrote in a statement sent to the press.