Kidnapped Polish photographer flees Syrian captors
November 4, 2013
Polish photojournalist Marcin Suder, who was abducted three months ago in Syria, has returned to Poland after escaping from his captors, Poland's foreign ministry said Thursday.
“Marcin Suder is already back in the country,” Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said on his official Twitter account.
No explanation about how Suder was released from captors has been given by the ministry.
“He was very lucky, he managed to flee,” foreign ministry spokesman Marcin Wojciechowski said. "He is safe, with his family," Wojciechowski added.
Suder, who was working for a Polish photo agency Studio Melon, was abducted in the rebel-held northern town of Saraqeb when masked gunmen stormed an opposition media office. Although no reason was given for his kidnapping and no one had publicly claimed responsibility for the abduction it has been speculated that the kidnapping was for ransom.
Suder's mother, Krystyna Jarosz, told radio RMF FM that he had been held in a dark basement, initially without food. She also said that “he is well now”.